Thursday, October 29, 2009

Health Report

It's early Thursday morning and though it's hazy outside it looks like we should have decent weather.  So far, we haven't had too much rain since arriving in Bacolod even though we're still in the midst of the rainy season.  However, I just noticed in my in-box there is another Typhoon warning for Central Luzon--which may hit Manila; hopefully, they won't see too much damage.  Back in Loveland, my family has been busy collecting school supplies for children those impacted by the storms.  They have pulled together lots of supplies and Maralee is now working on the shipping details.  Thanks to anyone who has been able to contribute! 

In my last post I mentioned that I've been limping around on a bad knee: luckily it started to feel better yesterday.  I'm pretty sure I have a tear in my meniscus, and Brett (my physical therapist brother-in-law) gave the same prognosis over the phone.  I'll get it checked out when I return home.

Speaking of medical care, last week I was talking to Kooks about health care in the Philippines.  He said that the majority of people here are unable to afford medical services due to poverty.  They have traditional herbs that they use to rely on for remedies.  I asked what happens if that doesn't work; he said "they pray hard".  If they have some money, a doctor would be the last option.

Today we plan on wrapping up our work with the IT Center at the school.  Things have been going pretty well--yesterday we worked with them to install some software in their test lab to help improve their IT monitoring and management: we installed Nagios for monitoring and CVS for their development version control.  Today we'll continue some of that work and try to get a wiki installed to help them with documentation.  The IT guys seemed excited about the new tools and are eager to learn.





No comments:

Post a Comment